May 14, 2008

I met THE GOOD SAMARITAN

This is an incident that occurred on the 9th of April 2008. I should have written this when my memory was fresh, but this was such a wonderful experience that I keep recollecting it all the time, and I think the memory is as good as fresh now. So here goes.

9th of April 2008, Wednesday was a bright and sunny morning. The first day of the Vacation Bible School (VBS-2008) held at Mar Thoma Church, Primrose Road. I volunteered to teach at this year’s VBS, but with a lot of apprehension about my teaching abilities. All the teaching I’ve done is to a few 4-5 years old kids back in my church, over the past few months. I was constantly praying for a sign that all is going to be well, and I am not going to fail in my duties. There were signs, but I was my usual doubting self, and didn’t know if I should take them, or if they were just lucky co-incidences.

I started towards church on this morning, with my apprehensions in place. I had to reach the church before 8.30am. I ended up being ready to leave home by around 7.45am. Since the church is about 12-14 kms from my place, I was not keen on taking the chance of going by bus. So, decided on traveling by an auto instead. I reached M.G. Road by around 8.15am right in front of the Prestige Meridian. The roads were not much crowded, and there were a few pedestrians on the footpath too.

The charge on the meter was Rs. 77/-. I held out a 100 rupees note to pay the driver of the rickshaw.
Auto driver (AD): Sorry madam change illa.
Me: (Oh wonderful! Lemme check if I’m carrying some change) Oh hawda? Nan hathra idya nodtinni.

I started to open my purse, when a man came to the auto. I looked up and,
Man: Do you need change?
Me: Sorry?!?!
Man: Just checking if you needed change. I saw both of your conversation and thought you might need some change to pay for the fare. (Takes out a bundle of 10 rupee notes, counts them) Here you go.
Me: (completely astounded, flabbergasted) Thank you! Thank you so very much!!
Man: (still waiting) Well!!
Me: Oops!! I’m so very sorry. Here is the 100 rupee note in exchange for the change. (sheepish grin)
Man: Not a problem at all. (Pockets the money and walks away)

I am still reeling under the effect of the events that just took place.
AD: En manuSHya madam. Ee kal-dalli jana change idru, keldre kodalla. Anthadralli avre taanage banDu kotralla.
Me: niJa. (Paid him the fare.) Thank you sir.

I walk down to the church, with a smile on my face, talking to my Father. Thanking Him for a sign that I can’t just turn around and ignore.

Incase the person who helped me out is reading this blog, I want to tell you Sir, you made a wonderful impact on me that Wednesday morning, never to be forgotten perhaps. THANK YOU ONCE AGAIN!!!

No comments: