Nov 28, 2007

How may I help you saar?? or Have a good day!!

If you have ever stayed in a hotel in India (though I haven't stayed in a lot of places in India, I think what I am about to say is seen in almost all places), you'd have observed the way the people who work there treat you. They wait on hand and foot. They have a bell boy take you up to your room. I've seen that even the cheapest of hotels have a bell boy out here.

It was a stark contrast when I landed at a hotel in Texas. The only person working in the hotel that I interacted with was the receptionist. She booked me into the hotel and gave me directions to find my room. No waiting on hand and foot.

But what I realised when I showed myself to my room is that there were plenty of boards directing me. At a hotel in India, we hardly have sign boards. If you let a person go find his room all by himself, chances are that he will not find it till the end of ages. Things surely are so much more organized out there in America.

People there might seem very impersonal, but you never need to interact with any one on a daily basis. Things seem to be taking care of themselves. It might seem like a very bad thing, cos there is no inter-personal relationship. But I think it is better for a girl, who stays alone out there in America, to depend on the proper sign boards, rather than a person to get around.

But, no matter how impersonal people might seem, they are ready to wish even strangers a good day ahead. You come out of an elevator and see a person, voila, "Good morning!" or "Have a good day!" is bound to be heard. Try something like that here in India, and you are assured to get dirty looks and a lot of snickers.

Why is it so difficult for us "people persons" to wish a stranger to have a good day ahead? This is something that I will never understand. There have been so many instances when I've smiled at some one in the hallway at office, only to get back a strange look. But there was one instance when I was appreciated for being cheerful (:D folks who know me, will know who I am talking about :D) and this comment surely has become one of the most unforgettable moments of my life.

I'll need to put that into the list of things that I may never understand, and go on with life (like I have any other choice).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am surprised you were here in US. And coming to your observation, you are right about it. Talking specifically about the hotel example; I can tell you something, we as in Indians are used to living life as kings/queens. That is something historically imbibed into our culture. The british rule did not do much to change it, but on the contrary, confirmed our belief in luxury. On the other hand; US that was also under British rule so to speak wanted to do everything that is different than what brits do.

I feel people in US enjoy their independence and fiercely gaurd their personal space. One has to be careful to ask other person to give them an oppurtunity to help. The person may feel that you view them as incompetent and can not take care of themselves.

Anyway, talking pure economics, it is easy to hire a bell-boy in India and pay him a meager salary than hiring a bell-boy in US where you have to give a hefty compensation including insurance.

That said; you will also see that for the most part in India it is easy to hire maids, cooks to do your daily chores so that you can kick back and relax. Here in US, you will have to do pretty much on your own. Which way is better is pretty subjective?

Toss this comment out if you can. I thought I will put my musings but were not articulate enough

LN

Binu George said...

@LN: I do agree with you. Good to see the comment. :)
While talking about maids or helps in India, I always think about one thing. Given the conditions and treatment vented out on the maids or bell-boys out here, it sure gets tough to talk about "Dignity of Labor". The same is not true with US.
Guess that could be one reason why the kids out there tend to earn their way into college education, whereas here, it's kinda like an unstated rule for the parents to take care of our education.